St. Norbert

St. Norbert lies just south of the Perimeter Highway, at the junction of the Red and La Salle rivers, sometimes referred to as Winnipeg's other forks.

Attractions

St. Norbert Farmers' Market

Manitoba's largest open air market!

St. Norbert lies just south of the Perimeter Highway, at the junction of the Red and La Salle rivers, sometimes referred to as Winnipeg’s “other forks.” In 1869-1870, during the Red River Rebellion, Louis Riel ordered the construction of a barricade to the south of St. Norbert to prevent William McDougall, then lieutenant-governor of Rupert's Land, from entering and taking over the settlement on behalf of the Canadian government. Father Noël Ritchot, a St. Norbert parish priest, was sent by Louis Riel to Ottawa to negotiate Manitoba's entry into Canadian Confederation. Following the success of his mission, Father Ritchot built the Chapelle Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Secours (Our Lady of Good Help chapel) in St. Norbert and dedicated it to the Virgin Mary for allowing the political crisis to be resolved without bloodshed.